Thanksgiving Part 1

Let's make this perfectly clear. You should have wine with your Thanksgiving dinner. There should be no objections to that. But, before figuring out what to drink, we'd need to understand what you are eating. 

Today, because I am running late because my flight back from whichever country we were in where we learned about tannins was fogged in, we're going to focus on the basics. Tomorrow, if I remember that I said I would, we'll get more specific.

What are you eating for Thanksgiving? The possibilities are endless, but there seem to be some commonalities. 

Meats

Turkey
Ham
Other less popular stuff like Turducken

Vegetables 

Squash
Turnips
Parsnips
Sweet potatoes
Other potatoes
Green beans

Carbs

Stuffing
Dressing
Bread

Sauces

Gravy
Cranberry

Desserts

Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Pecan pie
Sweet potato pie

And football. Don't forget football. It's important that your wine pairing should reflect good hard-nosed football.

Despite COVID, I am going to assume that you have a big enough grouping that we are drinking red, white, and dessert wines. 

The meat in question here is generally pretty lean, so we do not want heavy tannins. But, depending on how you prepare your meats, the spiciness of your wine may vary. And, don't forget that your wine with your dessert should be at least as sweet as your dessert, unless you go with a dry dessert wine to pair with, for example, caramely dessert.

Tomorrow, we'll dig in, but this is my way of producing something today with minimal thought because frankly, I have other things I have to do today.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gruner Veltliner

Wineries and Wine Clubs

Mount Veeder