A Wine Mystery

The doorbell rang. Our poor dog Shelby got excited and in her excitement, she tumbled down a few stairs. And, she kept running seeming none the worse for wear. 

The package at the door was for me. It required a signature from someone 21 or older, but in these days of COVID, they seem to not worry about those things. I don't know if the delivery person saw someone who looked older than 21 or just dropped it off.

I looked at the box. It was from a winery in Napa that I am not familiar with. I opened it the box carefully. The contents were in a gift bag and in the bag were several items:

  • A box large enough to hold two bottles of wine
  • A pen from the winery
  • A corkscrew from the winery (one can never have two many corkscrews)
  • Two pieces of chocolate from the winery
  • A business card from the Manager, Hospitality and Wine Club
I racked my brain. I don't know anyone by that name. Even if it's a married name or a divorced name, I don't think I know anyone with that first name. I looked on social media. Yes, she is Facebook friends with two people that I know. And, they are in the wine industry. I looked on LinkedIn and I saw three mutual connections, one being one of the Facebook people, one being someone in the wine industry that I am in contact with and a third that I have not spoken with for years.

For any of these people, though, if they were going to send me an anonymous gift, I would think they would do it from their own winery and not from another one.

The bottles are one Pinot Noir and one Chardonnay. The grapes are both from excellent vineyards and somebody rated the specifica Chardonnay as the best California Chardonnay of the year.

But, I am confused. 

Can anyone help me out? This is not a mystery that I appear particularly good at solving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gruner Veltliner

Wineries and Wine Clubs

Mount Veeder