Wine and COVID-19

COVID-19. While 2020 has been a completely strange and for most people unpleasant year in so many ways, COVID-19 (or the coronavirus or as it will be used here, Rona) has captured the headlines beyond all else. And, in this blog, it has also had an effect on wine.

How?

First, many who have been afflicted by Rona have had their sensations of taste and smell changed. They have complained, and rightfully so, that while having Rona, their senses of taste and smell have completely or nearly completely disappeard. If you have neither taste nor smell, wine is just another colored liquid, in this case with some alcohol in it.

But, if you can't taste or smell, and you are drinking it for the alcohol, you might as well drink liquor. The alcohol content is higher and it will hit you quicker.

Sadly, Rona has apparently not just affected people while they have it. There is data that show that a small percentage of people who have had Rona have had their senses of taste and smell altered perhaps permanently. People say that chocolate tastes like rubber and coffee tastes like gasoline. The people reporting on this matter didn't say, but I wonder what wine tastes like. 

Remember that [insert a high dollar figure] bottle of wine that you bought for a special occasion? You were holding on to it for your graduation or anniversary or promotion and now you can't taste it. Oh, Rona.

But, in all seriousness, I've been fortunate. While I think I might have had Rona back in January before the country got shut down, I've had no lingering effects if I did. But, of course, the other effect of Rona on the enjoyment of wine in 2020 has been the lack of social gathering. For me, wine is an experience and I like to share those experiences with others. It's part of what makes wine parties and dinners and tastings so much fun. We're around other people and we can share thoughts and notes or just laigh when we have a really bad wine.

Rona has wounded this severely. I haven't spent wine time in a group where we do that up close and personal. For that matter, we haven't spent much of any time in groups where we get up close and personal. In 2020, for many of us, a large group is now two people. In other times, that is anti-social. 

Wine helps to break down inhibitions. Both the alcohol and the experience make us more social. I want that back.

I started this blog because I needed a travel substitute. While I don't plan to stop the blog although I might slow down the frequency, I look forward to the days when I can share a bottle with friends and neighbors or even strike up a conversation with the server in a hotel restaurant. Until then, I guess I keep blogging.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gruner Veltliner

Wineries and Wine Clubs

Mount Veeder