Experimenting With Temperature

I tired an experiement yesterday. Well, I didn't exactly use the scientific method and I'm not sure it was even an intentional experiement, but it was awfully telling, at least to me it was.

For the first time in my life, at least that I can recall and ny power of recall remains pretty good, I opened a bottle of Portugieser

As you might recall, and then again, you might not, Portugieser is a red grape that seemingly has nothing at all to do with Portugal. In fact, it's found primarily in east central Europe and the bottle we had (quite inexpensive I must note) was from Hungary, the Villany region right on the border with Croatia. As a wine, it shares a lot of characteristics with Pinot Noir.

This si a wine with good acidity and low alcohol content. For those who wonder why, it is likely a result of the grapes being harvested quite early so that they do not become overly ripe. Technically, as a grape ripens, the the sugar content increases (acidity decreases) meaning that there is more alcohol potential.

Now, here is where the experiement came in. I haven't had this bottle for long. It's a wine that you, generally speaking, want to drink young. So, it had been stored in overflow racking. Cool, dark, and dry, but not cellar temperature, perhaps 62-65F/17-18C. So, I cooled the wine after I brought it up. 

I think these are good assumptions, but let's assume that the freshly opened bottle was at about 63F. The wine was interesting, but lacked the richness I was hoping for. That was a small pour, very small. I poured it next at about 59F/15C and the flavor had improved. The wine had a bit more complexity to it. Finally, the wine reached its target temperature of about 54F/12C. The difference was marked. While it remained fresh and fruity, there was a bit of wildness to it and a pronounced chocolatey, cocoa type finish. It was really enjoyable.

And, the moral of the story is drink your wine at the proper temperatures.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gruner Veltliner

Mount Veeder

Wineries and Wine Clubs