If You Don't Want to Spend More

I rarely mention names on this blog. In fact, I have made a point to not mention them except when absolutely necessary or as a hypothetical. But, as a follow-up to yesterday's post, suppose you don't want to spend more, but you do want something that is consistently very drinkable without breaking the bank.

My solution is to buy Kirkland brand wines from Costco. They are very inexpensive for the varietals or location-designated wines that you are getting, tend to be very approachable young, and they are significantly increasing their portfolio. If you do your homework, you can actually figure out where the wines are coming from.

My first experience with this brand was their Rioja Reserva. I paid $6.99 for that bottle and many more thereafter although within the last two vintages, they have raised the price to $7.99. That's for a bottle that was aged 30 months in oak and 6 months in bottle before release. 

When I opened that first bottle, it was on a lark. And, while admittedly, 2009 was a very good vintage in the region and 2010 an even better one, I did a double take. I thought I had opened the wrong bottle. I had absolutely not an intention in the world of opening a $40 bottle of Tempranillo that night, but I thought I had. It was that good. Not all of their vintages have been as good as the 2009 and 2010, but even at its worst, this is a highly drinkable wine, drinks well the same week that you buy it or can last for a few years if stored properly.

Recently, as their portfolio has expanded, so have our purchases. They now have a Pauillac, an Oakville Cabernet, a Carneros Pinot Noir (a massively wonderful surprise and better than some Pinots from the same region at 5 times the price), a Cotes de Provence Rose that was wonderfully refreshing and paired superbly with shrimp, a Gran Reserva Ribera del Duero, a Chateauneuf du Pape for less than $20, a Stag's Leap Cabernet, a Chianti Classico Reserva (not my favorite as the acidity has been a bit out of hand), Ti Point Sauvignon Blanc (a great value), Sonoma Old Vine Zinfandel, Brunello, Cotes de Rhone Villages, Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Premier Cru Chablis, Barolo ($20 for Barolo), Mendoza Malbec, Willammette Valley Pinot Noir, Gigondas (not a fan of this wine), Napa Valley Red Blend, Pinot Grigio Friuli, Sancerre, Russian River Valley Chardonnay, Bordeaux Superieur, Rutherfor Cabernet, Alexander Valley Cabernet, and a Toscana.

Now, not every Costco has more than a few of these wines. That said, every Costco I have visited tends to carry 4 to 6 of them. Consider trying them. Thank me later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gruner Veltliner

Wineries and Wine Clubs

Mount Veeder